Horsin' Around

This past weekend at the Travers Day horse races in Saratoga Springs, I was convinced that I had come up with the perfect strategy to ensure that I would take home a sizable amount of winnings. I was so certain of my approach that I was plotting out how I could spend all of this free money. First, I was going to buy our friends dinner for inviting us up for this equine experience. Then, I’d probably buy a castle or an island or at least an apartment in the city with a walk-in closet. Of course I’d round things out philanthropically by donating to multiple charities. Before we even made it to the track, I was congratulating myself on all of the future good deeds I would perform with my newfound wealth.

Unfortunately, my grand plan was based approximately 10% on the odds and 90% on picking the silliest horse name in each race (tell me you wouldn’t have picked Dattts Da Boss or Ocean Foam for the win). I was in the red by $7 at the end of the day, but that’s a small price to pay for some beautiful weather and good times with friends.

One of the things that I really enjoyed is how everybody really shows up dressed to impress. We’re talking bow ties for the men and fascinators for the ladies. I opted for a more low-key look with a white linen shirt dress over shorts, my trusty hat and some comfortable sandals for strolling the racing grounds. My thought process was that if any of the jockeys were unable to perform their duties, I wanted to be comfortable enough to jump right in there and pinch hit (I DID take horse riding lessons when I was in middle school, after all). The need never did arise, but I still had a very successful day at the races.

Hat; J. Crew. Shirt Dress: CP Shade. Sandals: See by Chloe. Bag: Kate Spade (old, but similar here.)